- Full Member
- Google Plus
President: Peter Dorman
Chief Operating Officer: Hassan Diab
Type: Multi-purpose Fundraising Foundation/Organization Focus Region: International/Arab Region
Sectors: Education, Research, Healthcare
Founded in 1866, the American University of Beirut bases its educational philosophy, standards, and practices on the American liberal arts model of higher education. A teaching-centered research university, AUB has around 700 instructional faculties and a student body of around 8,000 students. The University encourages freedom of thought and expression and seeks to graduate men and women committed to creative and critical thinking, life-long learning, personal integrity, civic responsibility, and leadership.
The University’s mission is to provide excellence in education, to participate in the advancement of knowledge through research, and to serve the peoples of the Middle East and beyond. The university bases its educational philosophy, standards, and practices on the American liberal arts model of higher education. The university believes deeply in and encourages freedom of thought and expression and seeks to foster tolerance and respect for diversity and dialogue. Graduates will be individuals committed to creative and critical thinking, life-long learning, personal integrity, civic responsibility, and leadership.
- Advancing Research, Enabling Communities: opens new opportunities for research and ways to connect to its rural, arid location invited renaming. There’s increased collaboration with the private sector, including sharing equipment and expertise is helping local farmers increase crop yields, with added benefits to local dairy production.
- Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative: through CSR activities, organizations look beyond narrow shareholder value maximization in search of purpose and outcomes for all stakeholders (consumers, employees, communities, and the environment). In other words, CSR is concerned with the need to connect company prosperity with broader community welfare, realizing the interdependence of business and society and that they reinforce each other in synergetic ways.
- External Medical Affairs (EMA): EMA is charged with advancing the AUBMC mission of research, teaching, and patient care. It assists and represents AUBMC in evaluating and assessing new partnerships, affiliations, associations, and vital linkages with other public and private healthcare institutions and programs that share its vision and values, in Lebanon, the region, and worldwide.
- Outreach Practice Unit: the mission of the Outreach and Practice Unit is to advancepublic health practice at the faculty to impact the health of populations in Lebanon and the region.
- The neighborhood Initiative: the AUB Neighborhood Initiative was established to mobilize AUB resources, especially its intellectual resources, for the public good, starting in the university’s ‘back yard’.
- American Conservation Center: established to promote conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity for the purpose of enhancing wellbeing of people and nature by providing an open innovative and collaborative platform. Their mission is achieved through research, education, community outreach, and knowledge dissemination.
- University for Seniors: the University for Seniors is a new life-long learning initiative at AUB, the first of its kind in Lebanon and the Middle east. It gives older adults (who are 50 and above) the opportunity to share their wisdom and passion, to learn things they have always wanted to learn in a friendly academic environment and to interact socially with other seniors, and AUB faculty and students.